Matwork Module 1
Next course: 1 – 6 July 2019
Initiation & Level 1
The Swissbody® Pilates Academy Initiation and Level 1 Matwork course is designed to be of special interest to those wanting to learn the basics of postural alignment and of core and scapular stability. Core stability has been proven to be an essential factor in back and pelvic floor rehabilitation and is of utmost importance for, not only correct Pilates training, but the training of all athletes and long term, safe rehabilitation. Correct scapular stability is also essential for correct postural alignment, upper back strength and shoulder injury prevention and treatment.
Who benefits from this course?
All individuals aspiring to become Pilates instructors will find this course essential in providing a strong foundation. Additionally, physiotherapists, chiropractors, dance teachers and sport coaches (rowing, ice skating, boxing, tennis, golf, etc.) wishing to improve not only the performance of their athletes but also to reduce their susceptibility to injury, will benefit from the knowledge acquired in this course.
- The Swissbody Pilates philosophy: how and why it works?
- Postural assessments and correct postural alignment
- The most common postural faults and imbalances and how to correct them
- Stretching verses strengthening
- The Pilates principles and why they work
- The use of neutral pelvis/spine in Pilates
- Correct Pilates breathing
- Lumbar stabilization and specific exercises
- Pelvic stabilization and specific exercises
- Scapular stabilization and specific exercises
- The bones of the spinal column
- Specific exercises for the problem of kyphosis
- The Serratus Anterior and it’s importance as a scapular stabilizer
- Specific exercises to work the Serratus Anterior
- Specific exercises for the problem of lordosis
- A study of the pelvic floor muscles
- A study of the pelvic floor seen on Dynamic MRI.
- How to teach a client to use the pelvic floor muscles and specifi c exercises
- Safe stretching
- The use of hands and touch while teaching
- Teaching skills to put clients at ease
- Evolving from starter to beginner to early intermediate exercises
- Daily teaching practice of all exercises learned
Pre-requisites, required study hours & prices
36 hours (6 days)
Daily Course times:
9am-1pm & 2pm-4pm
20 hours – no charge
Required Personal Training:
20 hours – studio prices
Total Cumulative Hours:
Price of Course: